- Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle If you have been watching documentaries week after week, this is what you need : A feeble story, heavy metal music, lot of skin, and unbelievable stunts. Terrible, but watchable.
- The Incredibles The idea of a dysfunctional American family has been beaten to death in movies and sitcoms (Simpsons, Malcom in the Middle, American Beauty). So the idea of dysfunctional American family with ex-super heroes does not have any novelty. After watching so many Pixar movies, I had great expectations of this movie. But throughout the whole movie I laughed only once (towards the last scene when the little baby morphs into fire). Everyone in the theatre were laughing like crazy, but this movie did not do it for me.
- Vasool Raja MBBS (Tamil) This is a remake of the Hindi film Munna Bhai MBBS where Kamal Haasan plays the role played by Sanjay Dutt and Prabhu the role of Arshad Warsi. I hate to say this, but Sanjay Dutt was better in that role. Since I had seen Munna Bhai first, there was this constants comparison thread running in the background and I found the Hindi version better than this one.
- Thitthikuthe (Tamil) This movie had a melodious song (Thaayarum Ariyaamal…) sung by Unnikrishnan which I liked. After watching 30 mins of the movie, I was looking for a wall to bang my head.
- Nandanam (Malayalam) A servant girl’s faith in Guruvayoorappan translates into her wishes coming true. She sees the hand of the Lord in everything, which others around her do not see. MT Vasudevan Nair had a movie called ‘Ente Swantham Janakikutty’ which revolved around a similar theme of personal faith and seeing what you want to see. This movie has excellent songs too and was a nice Malayalam movie after a long time.
- Swapnakoodu (Malayalam) The film has three heroes and two heroines and could have been the world’s first pentagonal love story. But they make one hero tie the rakhee on a heroine. Then they kill one of the heroines. So the problem was reduced to the most often solved mathematical puzzle in Indian films – the triangular love story. Everything ends predictably. Good songs and excellent characters make this a good movie to watch.
Movie Reviews #6
- The Death of Chanakya 11 comments
- Mahabharata Date based on Archaeology 15 comments
- The Oldest Temple in Tamil Nadu 7 comments
- Impact of the Columbian Exchange on the world 1 comment
- Avesta and Rig Veda 6 comments
- Alberuni, the father of Indian Historical writing? 41 comments
- Takshashila: 2 Kings & a King Maker 6 comments
- Harappan Toys 3 comments
- Unraveling the Cheraman Perumal Myth 31 comments
- History of Harivarasanam 0 comments
About The Author
This blog is written by Jayakrishnan. I am not a historian, but a history enthusiast. I am not an insider and so I am not bound by the politics and preconceptions in the field. I spend lot of time reading about the topics I write about and most of the information comes from books or papers. I also run a history carnival in the 15th of every month. You can contact me at varnam.blog @gmail or @varnam_blog on Twitter Unless mentioned otherwise, all images are from Wikipedia
- Authors (4)
- Blogs (87)
- Books & Movies (175)
- DesiPundit (94)
- End of Civilizations (1)
- Essays (31)
- Foreign Affairs (23)
- Globalization (79)
- History (181)
- History: Before 1 CE (217)
- History: General (173)
- History: India (249)
- Humor (27)
- India (342)
- India's Neighbors (123)
- Misc (25)
- People (1)
- Photos (21)
- Published (33)
- Regions (10)
- Religion (8)
- Religion & Spirituality (108)
- Sanatana Dharma (2)
- Science & Technology (58)
- Terrorism (74)
- Uncategorized (65)
- USA (97)
- World (34)